How To Find The Best Contractor For You?
With all the good contractors out there, how do you know which one is the best for you? Our FREE Contractor Interview form can assist you in interviewing prospective contractors.
Don’t be shy about asking these questions. Any reliable contractor should be proud of their track record and be pleased to provide these answers to you.
Not every contractor may be able to answer all of these questions to your complete satisfaction, but this should give you a good insight as to how the contractor operates his business.
It is not necessary to ask every question, but you should ask each contractor the same question. Of course the more questions you ask, the more you will learn about each contractor.
TIP! Here is one way to find the best contractor.
- Make copies of this handy interview form.
- Ask each contractor the same questions.
- Assign one point to for each question answered to your satisfaction.
- The contractors with the highest score should rank as your top choices.
CONTRACTOR INTERVIEW FORM
- How long have you been in business under the current company?
- Have you ever filed for bankruptcy?
- Have you ever had any complaints filed against you with the BBB?
- What is your rating with the BBB?
- How long have you been a member of the BBB?
- Do you belong to any professional trade groups such as the National Association of Home Builders?
- What documentation do you have that proves you’re qualified?
- What proof do you have of your bathroom remodeling experience?
- How many full bathroom remodels have you completed before?
- What guarantee do you have that you will show up on time?
- Will you provide a written detailed quote?
- What assurance do I have that your price quote is firm and won’t change as the job progresses ?
- How do I know there won’t be any cost overruns or lots of unnecessary and costly change orders.
- Will you help me make a materials list so I can buy my own materials to save money?
- What is your employee screening process before hiring?
- What written policies do you have on how your employees will conduct themselves in my home?
- Do you have a formal written procedure to monitor the progress of my job?
- What steps do you take to communicate with me before, during and after my job?
- Will you come back at no charge and fix any problems with your work that show up after you leave? For how long?
- Will you give me a written copy of your warranty?
- How long will it be before you can start work on my job?
- Do you have a current business license and/or contractor license?
- Do you have workers compensation insurance and general liability insurance?
- Will you have your insurance agent give me an original copy of your insurance certificate listing me as “Additional Insured”?
- Do you have letters of reference from your bank suppliers to show that bills are paid and that you are in good financial standing?
- Do you have letters of reference from past customers?
- May I contact your past customers?
- Will you give me a material and labor lien release when my job is completed?
- Will you pull the permits, handle the inspections and give me a copy of the building department final building completion form?
- Do you have a written safety program and follow safe work practice?